[vtk-developers] Proposed vtk directory structure

Sebastien BARRE sebastien at barre.nom.fr
Thu Jun 28 09:37:19 EDT 2001

Hi Ken

At 28/06/2001 09:06 -0400, Ken Martin wrote:

>Could you show me the structure you'd like?

Sure, I'll try to sum up what I wrote in the previous emails :

A)

vtk/Examples/Cfd/{Cxx,Tcl,Java,Python}
vtk/Examples/Fem/...
vtk/Examples/Financial/...
vtk/Examples/Medical/...

with

B)

vtk/Graphics/Examples/{Cxx,Tcl,Java,Python}
vtk/Graphics/Testing/...
vtk/Imaging/Examples/...
vtk/Imaging/Testing/...

Meaning :

A) I like the "theme" stuff, it's definitely something that would help the
users finding examples by following the "task to example" path. And I could
generate the according web page.

B) These directories are for examples that strictly demonstrate the
capability of a single class, i.e. seen as a component of the corresponding
package (Graphics, Imaging). I would like them to be in the package's
directory.
Moreover, I think the Testing could go there too because :
         a) basically a test is also strictly limited to a class (hence, a
package).
         b) testing has not a lot to do with the "theme" stuff, hence I see
no reason to put them at the top level like the "themes" are (see A).

Compromise ? :
I like your 'GettinStarted' and I guess the 'Utilities' is definitely
welcome to store TkInteractor and stuff.
Thus, my A could become A' :

vtk/Examples/GettingStarted/{Cxx,Tcl,Java,Python}
vtk/Examples/Cfd/...
vtk/Examples/Fem/...
vtk/Examples/Financial/...
vtk/Examples/Medical/...
vtk/Examples/Utilities/...

On the other hand, I know that you might want to put everything at the top
level (removing Examples and Testing from package's directories), but I
would like to hear your arguments :) (so that I could convince myself))).

> > >vtk/Common  -- this is the current vtknew code directories
> >
> > What do you mean with vtk/Common please ?
>
>This is already in the vtknew tree. This is where the core data
>structures and classes go. Files such as vtkObject.h are kept in
>vtk/Common.

Like we say in France, I guess we are swimming in Science-Fiction here :)
I've been working on the new tree for at least a month, so I guess I know
what vtk/Common is :)) No pb, my english was not good enough to understand
what you meant, but the whole point was not there anyway :))

> > Well, I guess I can get used to that. The "theme" idea was
> > good.
>
>I am looking for themes here. Imaging and Graphics were meant as
>themes. It could be Medical, Volume Rendering, CFD, Image Processing.
>I'm looking for suggestions on what themes to have and how to organize
>those themes to best server the new developer.

Good. Let me summarize once again : you would like to remove all
examples/tests from each individual packages, and achieve something like :

A) examples (eventually tests) : packages + themes related

vtk/Examples/GettingStarted/{Cxx,Tcl,Java,Python}
vtk/Examples/Cfd/...
vtk/Examples/Fem/...
vtk/Examples/Financial/...
vtk/Examples/Graphics/...
vtk/Examples/Imaging/...
vtk/Examples/Medical/...
vtk/Examples/Utilities/...

+

B) tests : only packages related

vtk/Testing/Rendering/{Tcl,Cxx,Python,Java} etc ...
vtk/Testing/Parallel/...
vtk/Testing/Hybrid/...
vtk/Testing/Patented/...
vtk/Testing/Base/...