[vtk-developers] vtknew tree and testing / examples

Sebastien BARRE sebastien at barre.nom.fr
Wed Jun 27 15:36:46 EDT 2001

At 27/06/2001 14:48, Ken Martin wrote:
>Just a note on the concept of examples under packages. Remember that
>Common, Filtering, Imaging, Graphics, and IO do not depend on
>Rendering. Therefore any examples in those five packages would not be
>able to use any rendering. They would have to be text based (non
>visuaal/image based) tests.

Sorry, Ken, this look really weird to me...

Text based examples make little sense, I guess none of the "good examples"
(i.e. not tests) are text based, am I right ?

>With our current set of examples almost
>all of them would end up in Rendering.

I think that we should not be that rigid :). I guess *users* do not care
about the fact that whatever package depends on Rendering or not, they just
want to find examples in a consistent and logical way. This is a crucial
issue. So I think that *scripts* should *stay* in the relevant package's
directory (except for these pertaining to the top-level
"vtk/Examples/theme" directory that looks a good idea to me). If Rendering
has not be built, then the script will complain at run time about the
missing classes, but I do not see that as a problem.

I know this is a problem for C++ examples. I do not have a solution at the
moment, except that I think that putting the C++ examples relying on
"Rendering" in the Rendering directory only is not a good idea (or I
presume you think that too :)

Technically, is there a problem (CMake ?) to add a dependency with
"Rendering" for C++ examples located in Imaging/ or Graphics/ ? In that
case, we would probably have to make the "examples" build optional (and/or
delay it until the whole VTK lib has been built).