[vtk-developers] vtknew tree and testing / examples

David Gobbi dgobbi at irus.rri.ca
Wed Jun 27 14:18:50 EDT 2001

On Wed, 27 Jun 2001, Lorensen, William E (CRD) wrote:

> If an "example" is not built every night, I predict it will stop working
> quickly. If we ship it, we should build it and run it. Otherwise, take
> it out off the tree.

I do agree that any 'examples' should be tested, but they needn't be
kept in the same directory as code designed specifically for testing.
In fact, if an 'example' breaks even  though none of the 'tests' do, it
suggests that a new 'test' is needed that specifically covers the broken
portion of the example.  Also, examples should be far fewer in number
than tests.

I have a very strong interest in making VTK more accessible to new
users because I spend huge amounts time on VTK support.  Clearly
separating 'tests' from 'examples' will certainly be a help.  Massive
improvements to the VTK API and documentation would also help, but
we all have limited time... many thanks to Sebastien for his outstanding
efforts!

Are suggesting that all the python examples should be removed? ;)

 - David