[vtk-developers] Rendering speed with large numbers of vtkActors (long)

John Shalf jshalf at lbl.gov
Mon Jun 18 16:13:39 EDT 2001

Very interesting!
I've been working with Roger Brown at SGI to figure out why
performance on the SGI IR2 was so terrible with just a
single actor.  We started on this about a year-and-a-half
ago, but didn't know the appropriate venue to discuss
results.

We were able to get a 3x performance improvement on the
"sphere" benchmark using the following modifications (some
of which are very similar to yours).  Some of these
improvements come directly from the OpenGL performance
tuning guide and others from profiling the GL pipeline
directly.

http://techpubs.sgi.com/library/dynaweb_bin/ebt-bin/0650/nph-infosrch.cgi/infosrchtpl/SGI_Developer/OpenGLonSGI/@InfoSearch__BookTextView/540?DwebQuery=opengl%2Band%2Btuning

So we did the following to improve raw polygon rendering
performance with a single actor.

1) Eliminated redundant gl state changes by caching GL state
calls.  Like you, we created a state-cache for GL state
calls.  However, we made it a member of the
vtkOpenGLRenderWindow class because that class holds the
GLXContext.  Whenever the context is made current in the
RenderWindow, it copies the pointer to its own StateCache
object into a static classmember so that when the context is
current you can simply refer to the cache with
	vtkOpenGLRenderWindow::CurrentStateCache
When it was in the Renderer, problems arose with caching
state for the wrong rendering context.

This resulted in the largest performance boost because IR
pipes have a sizable overhead for state changes.  It also
enabled the following adjustments to show performance
improvements.  Without state caching, the typical things you
do to "tune" OpenGL had no tangible effect.

2) Using:
     glNewList(this->ListId,GL_COMPILE);
     glCallList(this->ListId);
   instead of
     glNewList(this->ListId,GL_COMPILE_AND_EXECUTE);
  I don't know its counterintuitive, but this does make a
performance difference for some cases.

2) Calling glDisable( GL_DITHER );
  Even if you are not actually dithering, the pipeline seems
to take a performance hit if it is enabled.

3) *Not* calling glEnable( GL_NORMALIZE );
  The vtkNormals are already normalized as far as I can
tell.

4) Lengthening the time before any GL state calls are done
after a glXSwapBuffers().  glXSwapBuffers has a huge latency
associated with it that blocks the GL pipeline until it is
completed (sometimes 15% of the total rendering time when
you are rendering at 10fps).  So it is always good to do
*anything* that isn't a GL operation immediately after the
SwapBuffers call.  However, the vtkRenderer calls the
RenderOverlay method of vtkProp almost immediately after the
SwapBuffers which in turn makes many blocking gl state
changes.  Using the StateCache, we can delay the actual
playback of these operations until after all of the state
changes (if any) have been collected.  This buys enough time
to hide the SwapBuffers latency because navigating the vtk's
class hierarchy to accumulate gl state change info is
costly.

5) Lighting needs to be disabled when making glMaterial
state calls.  (at least this is true on SGI's).

6) There are many redundant calls to
glMatrixMode(GL_MODELVIEW) (the state caching fixed this
problem as well)

7) Eliminated glFlush() calls where glXSwapBuffers() is
going to be called anyways.  glFlush() is costly and in
particular it is redundant if you call glXSwapBuffers()
immediately afterwards as is done in the
vtkOpenGLRenderer::Frame() function.  So glFlush() is *only*
called of glXSwapBuffers() will *not* be called.

The current implementation I have is kind of kludgy because
we only fixed the state-cache for things that were involved
in the benchmarks we were using.  It would be a bit of work
to make this fix "production quality".  I think these
changes will have benefits for a number of GL pipeline
architectures (not just SGI's IR pipeline).

John T., looking through your results, I think we can
combine many of the gl-state fixes that you found with the
ones that Roger and I discovered to at least accelerate the
raw polygon performance of VTK as an intermediate step
toward the modifications you require to improve performance
with large numbers of actors.  The question is whether this
methodology will work for the multithreaded variety of VTK.
I think that it will, but I'm interested in other peoples
comments on that.

-john