[vtk-developers] Re: [vtkusers] New Web Pages

Prabhu Ramachandran prabhu at aero.iitm.ernet.in
Thu Jun 14 13:59:34 EDT 2001

hi,

The new web site looks nice and crisp.

    LSA> Thanks for the feedback - you make a good point. I will add
    LSA> an announcements page and a link from the side bar. After
    LSA> that, it will be up to the folks who have announcements to
    LSA> make (add new classes, make significant changes, etc) to add
    LSA> the information to the page. That's all VTK developers, not
    LSA> just the folks here at Kitware.

I have another suggestion.  It would be very useful if there was an
additional page/note at the download section which tells folks as to
what software is required to use te binaries.  Something like a
readme?

    LSA> Any developer can access the web pages - the same way you
    LSA> check out vtk, you can check out vtkhtml. After making your
    LSA> committing changes please send me email so that I can update
    LSA> the web server.

Wow! this sounds very good.

I have been thinking of starting a sourceforge project on creating a
vtk-pkg project where people can contribute binaries for different
architectures with readmes describing whatever is necessary.  I havent
had any time to do anything on this.  Would it be possible to do this
with the new approach to the website?  We could have a contributed
section with a set of files that are uploaded with an accompanying
README that basically contains a form with all the details that the
user needs to install the VTK binary.  This would ease the process of
installing VTK esp. for people who are new and who would be scared by
the sheer size of VTK and the long compile times.

thanks.

prabhu