[vtk-developers] glxMakeCurrent and Hardware Picking issue

Lisa S. Avila lisa.avila at kitware.com
Thu Jun 14 11:50:47 EDT 2001

Hello Bob,

The MakeCurrent() calls are necessary any time the pipeline might have
updated. A good example of why is the pipeline browser - if you use this
script it pops up another windows that graphically displays the pipeline,
and using start/end methods it displays the pipeline execution. That means
the graphics context is switching back/forth continually during a render.

Yes, hardware picking does have its problems. We have discussed this in the
past and I think one of the proposed solutions was to have another render
method for picking that does not cause a pipeline update, and always
renders whatever was last rendered (for example, in the case of an LOD
actor or prop). This means moving all the Update calls into conditionals,
and only performing them for "active" rendering (not picking). This would
also allow the MakeCurrent calls to be conditional, since no other
MakeCurrent should be able to occur in picking mode.

Of course, this is easy to say and probably tricky to do...

Lisa