[vtk-developers] abstract/concrete etc

John Biddiscombe jbiddiscombe at skippingmouse.co.uk
Sat Feb 24 21:03:50 EST 2001

>agree with you.  These classes are concrete (in the C++ sense) so why

You can't create a vtkProcessObject or a vtkObject. They are abstract in
the "completely pointless subclasses on their own" sense

It would break some of my code, because I use plain-vanilla vtkObject
>instances as timestamps (because vtkTimeStamp itself isn't wrapped).
>Why do you want to make these changes?

because my RPD GUI wrapper generator parses the whole vtk library and
generates wrapper classes and menu/object structures for each class.
Abstract ones need to be flagged so that the user can't create a
"vtkProcessObjext window" but can create a "vtkElevationFilter window" etc
etc. Allowing vtkImagesource, vtkPolyDataSource and all the rest, a
concrete existence is wrong in my view. TCL wrappers ought to do the same
to prevent the user from creating a vtkObject on its own.

JB