[vtk-developers] Recent changes

Berk Geveci berk.geveci at kitware.com
Tue Feb 13 16:52:32 EST 2001

	My mistake. Instead of

|>      2) The field data methods for adding/setting arrays
|> will change.
|>      It will not be possible to do
|>
|>      fd->SetField(i, array);
|>      fd->SetFieldName(i, name);
|>
|>      This will be replaced by:
|>      array->SetName(name);
|>      fd->AddArray(name);

	I meant to say:

	It will not be possible to do

	fd->SetArray(i, array);
	fd->SetArrayName(i, name);

	This will be replaced by:
	array->SetName(name);
	fd->AddArray(array);

	Note that vtkDataArray will have a Name ivar.

	As for the number of arrays, I did exactly what you recommended:
	SetNumberOfArrays() is now an empty function (for backwards
	compatibility). There is a SetMaximumNumberOfArrays().
	GetNumberOfArrays() returns the number of "used" arrays (all of
	them non-null, it is not possible to add a null array). There
	is a RemoveArray(name) method, which will remove an array and
	shift the ones with larger indices left.
	What I am trying to remove is code relying on the index of the
	arrays. It is ok to iterate over all the arrays with
	for(int i=0; i<fd->GetNumberOfArrays(); i++)
	{
	do something to fd->GetArray(i);
	}
	but the user shouldn't assume that array 2 is what it used to be
	when they first set it. I am also trying to make the interface
	as simple as possible. Right now, you can add an array with
	AddArray(), AddReplaceArray(), AddNoReplaceArray(), SetArray()...

	By the way, you can keep doing fd->AddArray() as many time as you
	want because field will expand itself (of course this is not
	efficient). This functionality was there. I didn't change it.

	Please keep commenting. I want to add all the required functionality
	before I check in the change.

	Berk