[vtk-developers] *vtkMy* : building modules outside VTK 4.0 tree (was RE: vtkLocal in 15 Easy Steps)

Sebastien BARRE sebastien.barre at kitware.com
Wed Dec 19 20:59:42 EST 2001

At 12/19/2001 01:10 PM, Sebastien BARRE wrote:

>=> Today, I will create a full-fledged example (and post it to the CVS) on
>how to build a local directory with your own classes, using whatever VTK
>build dir, and without modifying any of the VTK files.

It took me longer than expected but I've posted a first attempt toward an
example of out-of-source local build.

It's in the CVS, under VTK/Examples/Build/vtkMy
http://public.kitware.com/cgi-bin/cvsweb.cgi/VTK/Examples/Build/vtkMy/

This vtkMy directory can be used to start your own VTK local class
repository (provided that you copy it to a different location and remove
all CVS subdirs).

Have a look at the README.
This example definitely needs some more documentation, but I'm waiting for
your feedback :)

It has been tested under Windows (Msdev and Nmake mode), Linux, in both
static and shared lib modes. It includes 3 dummy classes and 2 short
examples (in C++ and Tcl). Do not forget to include the build dir to your
PATH and the Wrapping/Tcl dir to TCLLIBPATH).

You will need CMake >= 1.0 (which is also mandatory for VTK 4.0 anyway).

We are working on remaining issues, mainly to make this example work with
an installed VTK (i.e. either built than installed, or installed from a
binary distribution). Unix users should update their VTK CVS (or VTK 4.0
CVS) to get the required modifications if they are in that situation. The
Windows binary installation will be modified in the same way (to include
the vtkWrapTcl.exe, vtkWrapPython.exe executables, modify the UseVTK.cmake,
etc.).

Hope this helps

--
Sebastien Barre