[vtk-developers] New tree build on Irix wirth SPROC

John Shalf jshalf at lbl.gov
Tue Aug 21 19:56:43 EDT 2001

Bill,
this is a typical SGI pthreads issue.  When you compile your
code, you have to be careful to eradicate all references to
-lpthread.  If you link with -lpthread or (and this is
really strange) even compile object files with -lpthread
present (even though it technically shouldn't do anything),
your sproc will fail.  Pthreads and sproc are completely
incompatible with each other on Irix.  I don't know why.

Anyways, I've run in to this often before, so you have to
nuke *all* of your object files and do a recursive search
for "pthread" in your make/build files to ensure that they
are not added inconspicuously to your code.  Just a single
object compiled with -lpthread contamination will cause the
whole shebang to fail to work.

-john