[vtk-developers] Bug update : (if anyone is interested)

Prabhu Ramachandran prabhu at aero.iitm.ernet.in
Fri Apr 27 08:33:26 EDT 2001

hi,

    JB> Comments please. I'm playing with stuff I am not fully
    JB> qualified to fix. I understand the issues, but the
    JB> mappers/renderwindows have many more complex interactions
    JB> which you guys at kitware understand better and if we go round
    JB> calling releaseGraphicsResources every ten minutes,
    JB> performance could get a serious kick in the wotsits.

I am even less qualified to comment on this but I just wanted to
mention that under Linux

$ gcc -v
Reading specs from /usr/lib/gcc-lib/i386-linux/2.95.2/specs
gcc version 2.95.2 20000220 (Debian GNU/Linux)

I compiled the code you like so

g++ t.C -I /usr/include/vtk -L/usr/X11R6/lib -lVTKCommon \
-lVTKGraphics -lGL -lGLU -lXext -lX11 -lXt

and ran the resulting executable.  There was no crash.  I tried with
both the latest nightlies and with the 3.2 release. I also tried with
a few different optimisation options (-O6, -g and normal).  All of
them ran okay.  I ran it with gdb too.

(gdb) r
Starting program: /tmp/a.out
Press any key followed by <Enter> to exit>> a
Debug: In vtkAbstractTransform.cxx, line 359
vtkObject (0x8078768): UnRegister: circular reference eliminated

Program exited normally.
(gdb)

Maybe gcc is very nice about the bug but I though you folks should
know that it doesnt crash under Linux.

prabhu