[vtk-developers] Tweaking vtkCoordinate

John Biddiscombe jbiddiscombe at skippingmouse.co.uk
Fri Nov 24 16:22:35 EST 2000

I'd like to add a new option to vtkCoordinate
VTK_USERDEFINED
and add a new option for conversion.

* * The new method will be virtual * *

The existing methods are not virtual and the user will be required to
subclass vtkCoordinate and supply a transformation in the method
float *GetComputedUserDefinedValue
which would be called from inside
GetComputedFloatDisplayValue

The reason for adding this would be to enable the user of
vtkPolyDataMapper2D to supply a TransformCoordinate with a custom mapping
set. This will enable us (me?) to render 2D over 3D and use a separate
coordinate system for 3D and 2D.

I don't believe this will affect anything much apart from an additional
case statement in the above mentioned code. If anyone would like to suggest
an alternative way of achieving this....please do.

I'd welcome objections/approval before I proceed.

JB