[vtk-developers] vtkColorTransferFunction

Lisa Sobierajski Avila lisa.avila at kitware.com
Thu Jun 22 11:11:07 EDT 2000

Hello,

I am make some modifications to vtkColorTransferFunction, and I have
determined that I have two choices on how to proceed:

1)  Modify vtkColorTransferFunction so that R, G, and B are no longer
independent. That means the AddRedPoint, AddGreenPoint, AddBluePoint, can
remain, but will actually probe the current function to get the other two,
then AddRGBPoint. The methods that would disappear would be GetRedFunction,
GetGreenFunction, and GetBlueFunction since this won't use three
vtkPiecewiseFunctions as the underlying representation.

2) Create a new subclass of vtkColorToScalar that supports the
functionality I am looking for. This will also support all of the current
vtkColorTransferFunction functionality except for the independence of the
functions.

Is anyone out there using the red, green, and blue functions independently?
I'd rather not see two classes that do almost the same thing, but my
changes will essentially break some methods.

Any comments?

Lisa