[vtk-developers] strange behaviour in vtkVolumeTextureMapper2D

Lisa Sobierajski Avila lisa.avila at kitware.com
Thu Jul 13 10:43:50 EDT 2000

Hello Sebastien,

>The board is $3000 US, but the SDK is $2500, which is bad joke :( What can
>I do without the SDK ? I need the SDK to compile the VolumePro support in
>VTK, am I right ?

That might now be true - I know that we build VTK with VolumePro support on
both Windows and Sun from the driver distribution that they provide on
their web site. I think the SDK contains some source code for applications
(like the source to VolView 1.0 and Revli). If you can live without that,
then you might be able to save the $2500.

>And what about these SGI hardware 3D board (Oxygen ? Osiris ?). Well, I
>know it's expensive :)
>I might send an email to the public list to check if anyone has been using
>another hardware  volume rendering solution. have you heard about anything
>else ?

We don't have any of those. Generally, each new board we get performs
better than the last, and the rate of new boards coming out is fairly high
- so we've been pretty happy. Of course, it always seems to be true that
the data gets bigger faster than the boards get faster.....

Lisa