[vtk-developers] ghost levels

Amy Henderson amy.henderson at kitware.com
Thu Aug 17 09:22:57 EDT 2000

In my e-mail yesterday, I didn't really go into a discussion of what's
contained in the array that keeps track of ghost levels.  We added the
array GhostLevels to vtkDataSetAttributes.  We chose this implementation
because it allows you the option of using ghost levels or not, and if you
are using them, the array gets carried along automatically.  If the entry
for a particular cell in the GhostLevels array have a value of 0, then that
cell is part of the piece you have specified.  If the value is 1, then the
cell is a neighbor to the cells in this piece.  If the value is 2, the cell
neighbors a cell in level 1, etc.

Our concern right now is what the best name for this ghost level array
is.  Do you have any suggestions?  So far, we've come up with
PieceBoundaryLevels and PieceOverlapLevels as two more possibilities.

We have checked in an example tcl script that makes demonstrates using
ghost cells.  We have two spheres, each divided into two pieces and then
run through the vtkPolyDataNormals filter.  In one sphere, we have used
ghost cells, and in the other we have not.  For the sphere that uses ghost
cells, the only artifact is at the poles (because we did not handle ghost
cells correctly there).  For the other sphere, a ridge is visible where the
two pieces come together.  The tcl script, called NormalSpheres.tcl, is
located in vtk/graphics/examplesTcl.  We chose to implement ghost cells for
the sphere source because we needed an example of a source that uses ghost
cells.  We do not intend to make changes to all the sources to supply ghost
cells.  Instead, we are in the process of writing a filter that will take
vtkPolyData as input, break it into a specified number of pieces, and
return the requested piece including the requested number of ghost levels.

Amy