[vtk-developers] CVS (vtkbaseline) is huge. TIFF compression ?

David Gobbi dgobbi at irus.rri.on.ca
Thu Aug 3 17:53:18 EDT 2000

On Thu, 3 Aug 2000, Ken Martin wrote:

> A compressed TIFF reader that is "patent free" would be my first choice. a
> PNG reader would also work out nicely. I don't know of anyone working on
> either of those though.

The TIFF PackBits compression is patent free.  The TIFF LZW compression
is patented, but isn't part of the TIFF baseline standard and neither is
it as common as PackBits for TIFF.  I wrote a TIFF reader/writer a few
years ago that supported PackBits but I have no idea where the code is
now.  Maybe I should look through my collection of old 3.5" floppies.

 - David