[Smtk-developers] Pie in the sky

David Thompson david.thompson at kitware.com
Tue Mar 20 17:02:22 EDT 2018

> Maybe we could do something like
> Core/smtk/{attribute, mesh, model}/binding/{json, pybind11}/{Pybind, json}Resource.{h, cxx}

Hrmmm, to me that feels like adding an extra directory (named "binding") without reason compared to the "just add them to subdirectories of where the source actually lives":

  core/smtk/{attribute, mesh, model}/json/jsonResource.{h,cxx}
  core/smtk/{attribute, mesh, model}/pybind11/Py{Attribute, Mesh, Model}.cxx

  extension/smtk/{attribute, mesh, model}/json/jsonExtensionClass.{h,cxx}
  extension/smtk/{attribute, mesh, model}/pybind11/PyExtensionName.cxx

without gaining any of the benefits of separating code from different libraries.

I'm OK with breaking the "no intermingled source" rule and putting the json/python stuff inside core/smtk/foo/{json,pybind}, but not the "no superfluous directories" rule that adding core/smtk/foo/binding/{json,pybind} entails.

	David