[Rtk-users] Slow CUDA FDK performance

Simon Rit simon.rit at creatis.insa-lyon.fr
Fri Nov 19 01:25:11 EST 2021

Hi,
Thanks for isolating the problem. It's interesting to note that the comment
<https://github.com/SimonRit/RTK/blob/46ea6e190965bcc89421075830e365063aa8c51a/include/rtkFDKConeBeamReconstructionFilter.hxx#L48>
disagree with the content
<https://github.com/SimonRit/RTK/blob/46ea6e190965bcc89421075830e365063aa8c51a/include/rtkFDKConeBeamReconstructionFilter.hxx#L49-L56>...
This commit
<https://github.com/SimonRit/RTK/commit/42bd0e2557a04e1bea5e6a25f63d251a12743fc3>
is not sufficiently clear to understand why it's been changed at the time
(and I don't know if it's still necessary).
This could probably be changed in the Cuda constructor
<https://github.com/SimonRit/RTK/blob/master/src/rtkCudaFDKConeBeamReconstructionFilter.cxx#L21>.
Note that the computation of the ramp kernel always uses the CPU filter
https://github.com/SimonRit/RTK/blob/46ea6e190965bcc89421075830e365063aa8c51a/include/rtkFFTRampImageFilter.hxx#L84
but this should not be a problem as only one line is computed anyway
(before being replicated). Feel free to propose a pull request with this
change if it does solve your issue.
As far as I can see, RTK_CUDA_PROJECTIONS_SLAB_SIZE (which becomes
SLAB_SIZE) is only used in the Cuda code of the forward and
backprojections, not for setting the FDK processing, so you have to set it
manually.
Simon