[Rtk-users] Unable to Forward Project CT Volume With Correct Orientation

Andreas Andersen andreasga22 at gmail.com
Tue May 26 04:51:49 EDT 2020

What do you more precisely mean by "The output projections do not look like
the raw projections I have from the CBCT"
Are they flipped, are they all black, are they much brighter or darker, or
do they not align?

If alignment: Consider if you need to sort the projections by gantry angle
before visual comparison, the Xim reader just reads sequentially by the
given regex, so a ProBeam CB (with two imagers) may interleave projections
from different angles. This is unlikely to be a problem for a gantry with
only one imager.

If flipped or all black: Your transformation matrix looks correct to me, so
I think the problem may be elsewhere.
It's always a mess to figure out. Be careful, that when you flip axes
manually like that that you also remember to flip offsets (origin),
spacing, etc. accordingly.
In particular orientation (directions), I can see it says RAI for
"AnatomicalOrientation", but I think you'll need the "Orientation" tag with
direction cosines if you want to specify the directions manually.
https://itk.org/Wiki/ITK/MetaIO/Documentation#MetaObject_Tags

All this being said, I would suggest to instead use ITK's readers and the
built-in filters for image transformation if that's even necessary, to
avoid the hell of trying to keep track of all these values manually.

If intensity is darker or brighter: Check if you have preprocessed the CB
projections correctly for bow-tie filter and the like.

I hope this gives a hint to where the problem might be.

/Andreas

Andreas Gravgaard Andersen

Danish Center for Particle Therapy,

Aarhus University Hospital