[Rtk-users] Add noise to projections

Simon Rit simon.rit at creatis.insa-lyon.fr
Fri May 15 04:46:10 EDT 2020

Hi,
There is an AdditiveGaussianNoiseImageFilter
<https://github.com/SimonRit/RTK/blob/master/include/rtkAdditiveGaussianNoiseImageFilter.h>.
In practice, I personally do it in numpy with the python wrappings, see this
article <https://doi.org/10.1118/1.4945418> where I used this code:

I0=1e7
dH2O=0.01879 #mm^-1 at 75 keV
if I0!=0:
    slarray = rtk.GetArrayFromImage(sl)
    slarray = I0*np.exp(-1.*dH2O*slarray)
                                                      slarray =
np.maximum(np.random.poisson(slarray), 1)
    slarray = np.log(I0/slarray)/dH2O
    slarray = rtk.GetImageFromArray(slarray.astype(np.float32))
    slarray.CopyInformation(sl)
    sl = slarray

and wrote "The same simulations were repeated with Poisson noise.
The Shepp Logan densities were weighted by 0.01879 mm −1 ,
i.e., the linear attenuation coefficient of water at 75 keV. The
number of photons received per detector pixel without object
in the beam was constant for all pixels in both geometries and
equal to 10^7 ."
Simon