[Rtk-users] Reducing the pattern of errors

Simon Rit simon.rit at creatis.insa-lyon.fr
Wed Feb 14 10:30:49 EST 2018

Hi,
These are numerical errors. How did you create the projections? It seems
that you have used the voxelized phantom to simulate the projections. This
enhances strongly these artefacts. This is why most people compute
simulated projections analytically with simple analytical shapes (as the
Shepp Logan phantom).
If you share your projections meta information, I can illustrate how to do
the simulation differently. If you already used analytical simulations, a
way to improve the quality is to increase the sampling (use more and finer
pixels in the projections).
If you want to reduce the artefacts from these projections without
modifying the projections sampling, you need to remove some high
frequencies with a proper windowing. You can try --hann 1 for example on
the rtkfdk command line.
I hope this helps,
Simon