[Rtk-users] Object isocenter shift

Cyril Mory cyril.mory at uclouvain.be
Tue May 17 08:19:38 EDT 2016

Well, if it's just that, you should not worry about it : you cannot
perfectly center your object, even if you try. And most objects (e.g.
patients) do not even have a "center". So it does not make sense to
struggle to have the center of the object perfectly match the isocenter
of the acquisition device.

You can either live with that (it is perfectly fine for most
applications), or try one of these things:
- If you can re-do the acquisition, you should try to have your object's
center _roughly_ match the system's isocenter, because that's where you
will have the least artifacts
- Reconstruct your object as it is (it will work fine, unless there are
other problems), but select the origin and size of your reconstructed
volume carefully to have your object's center roughly at the center of
your reconstructed volume.

If you are not familiar with the exact definition of "origin", "spacing"
and "size" of an itk::image, read section 4.1.4 of the ITK software
guide (https://itk.org/ItkSoftwareGuide.pdf). This is both clear, short,
and something extremely important to understand.

I hope it helps,
Cyril