[Rtk-users] forward and back projection - MITK

Tobias Stein tstein at stud.hs-heilbronn.de
Sat May 14 05:48:01 EDT 2016

Hello Simon,

Thanks for your advice so far. I’m getting to know this filter better. At least I can now use it and save the result into a file.

I updated my code which now uses a volume.

The values of the input and output volume are equal except of the z-dimension of the output which I changed to the number of projection images.

                const unsigned int Dimension = 3;

…Reading image…

ImageType::Pointer inputImage = reader->GetOutput();

       ImageType::Pointer outputImage = ImageType::New();

       RegionType inputRegion = inputImage->GetLargestPossibleRegion();

       const unsigned int NumberOfProjectionImages = 45;

       ImageType::IndexType start;

       start[0] = inputRegion.GetIndex()[0];

       start[1] = inputRegion.GetIndex()[1];

       start[2] = inputRegion.GetIndex()[2];

       RegionType::SizeType size;

       size[0] = inputRegion.GetSize()[0];

       size[1] = inputRegion.GetSize()[1];

       size[2] = NumberOfProjectionImages;

       RegionType region;

       region.SetSize(size);

       region.SetIndex(start);

       ImageType::SpacingType spacing;

       spacing[0] = inputImage->GetSpacing()[0];

       spacing[1] = inputImage->GetSpacing()[1];

       spacing[2] = inputImage->GetSpacing()[2];

       ImageType::PointType origin;

       origin[0] = inputImage->GetOrigin()[0];

       origin[1] = inputImage->GetOrigin()[1];

       origin[2] = inputImage->GetOrigin()[2];

       outputImage->SetRegions(region);

       outputImage->SetSpacing(spacing);

       outputImage->SetOrigin(origin);

       outputImage->Allocate();

       outputImage->FillBuffer(size[0] * size[1] * size[2]);

       // Geometry

       typedef rtk::ThreeDCircularProjectionGeometry GeometryType;

       GeometryType::Pointer geometry = GeometryType::New();

       for (unsigned int i = 0; i < NumberOfProjectionImages; i++)

              geometry->AddProjection(510., 510., i*8.);

       typedef  rtk::JosephForwardProjectionImageFilter<ImageType, ImageType> ForwardType;

       ForwardType::Pointer forward = ForwardType::New();

       forward->SetInput(1, inputImage);

       forward->SetInput(0, outputImage);

       forward->SetGeometry(geometry);

       forward->Update();

I’m not sure how I have to add projection for the geometry to get a result which I’m familiar with.

Can you describe how do I have to interpret the result of the Joseph-Filter? I am familiar with sinograms and how they are computed, but one sinogram is created by the projections of one image slice as far as I understood it. What I want is to manipulate the image in the radon space and then perform a filtered back projection. Typically the articles describe techniques to reduce metal artifacts by using one 2D Slice. Is it possible to achieve something like that with the JosephFilter? I’m guessing since this filter won’t work well for 2D I have to use another filter. Can you give me a hint if I can do something like that with RTK or another ITK-based framework? Here <https://i.imgur.com/1yBz3o2.png>  a diagram which shows an example what I want to try.

I tried also to use my code with one slice and added a zero padding like that:

       typedef itk::ConstantPadImageFilter <ImageType, ImageType> ConstantPadImageFilterType;

       ConstantPadImageFilterType::Pointer padFilter = ConstantPadImageFilterType::New();

       padFilter->SetInput(inputImage);

       ImageType::SizeType extendRegion;

       extendRegion[0] = 0;

       extendRegion[1] = 0;

       extendRegion[2] = 0;

       padFilter->SetPadLowerBound(extendRegion);

       padFilter->SetPadUpperBound(extendRegion);

       padFilter->SetConstant(1);

       padFilter->Update();

But the result of my png is a black square.

Tobias