[Rtk-users] Question about the geometry

Chao Wu wuchao04 at gmail.com
Fri Oct 16 08:03:16 EDT 2015

Hi Arvid,

Since you know how important a correct geometry is, you should understand
why you need projection origin and spacing.
CT geometry has more parameters than sid and sdd. How big the detector
pixel size (spacing) and how the detector is places w.r.t. the central ray
(origin) also play a role in the geometry. And in-plane/out-of-plane
rotations etc.
In your dataset the correct spacing and origin information is not stored
correctly in the projection data, so the total geometry is wrong.

I have tested your data with the following command line and it gives
meaningful image. The newspacing and neworigin arguments force rtkfdk to
accept spacing and origin information of projections from command line
instead of from the data. Also I change the spacing of the volume from 2 to
0.2 because your object is small.

rtkfdk -p c:\Work\out_dir\ -r cylinder-a.mha -o
c:\Work\out_dir\cylinder_a_recon.mha
-g c:\Work\out_dir\geometry_real.xml --spacing=0.2 --dimension=256
 --newspacing=0.2 --neworigin=-20,-20

Apparently there is still some misalignment between this guessed geometry
and the real geometry, which you need to figure out with your own hardware.

Regards,
Chao