[Rtk-users] Conjugate Gradient Artefact

Cyril Mory cyril.mory at creatis.insa-lyon.fr
Thu Jun 4 05:26:22 EDT 2015

Hi Jonathan,

Thank you for your reply. All these reconstruction results seem normal
to me.
CG is well known to converge slower, but steadier, than SART. In SART,
there is a command line option to set the number of projections per
subset, ie the number of forward projections that are compared to the
measured ones (and averaged together) between two updates of the volume.
The default SART behavior is nprojspersubset=1, which results in very
fast initial convergence, but sometimes leads to erratic behavior after
a few iterations. Setting nprojspersubset to the total number of
projections will get you a so-called SIRT reconstruction, which should
have the same convergence properties as CG (because CG uses all the
projections at each update).
You can play with this parameter and observe the results. As you
increase it towards the maximum, you should get
slower but steadier convergence, until you reach SIRT, which looks like
CG.

Good to know that you managed to get a PICCS implementation quite
quickly.

Regards,
Cyril