[Rtk-users] Result from SART is worse than from FDK

Simon Rit simon.rit at creatis.insa-lyon.fr
Fri May 30 07:12:49 EDT 2014

Hi Andreas,
I apologize for never getting back to you despite the clear
description of the problem. Cyril Mory has done many developments in
iterative reconstruction since your email, including some improvement
of SART. See for example
http://wiki.openrtk.org/index.php/RTK/Examples/ADMMTVReconstruction.

I have launched the three cases you suggested with the "new" SART
- SART reconstruction of middle plane: this cannot work because our
forward projector assumes that the volume goes from the middle of the
first voxel to the middle of the last voxel. Therefore, one plane is
not enough, you need at least two.
- SART reconstruction of 10 planes around middle plane: there is a
truncation problem here and I don't see how it could be solved in this
manner. In general, one needs to use a reconstruction support that is
large enough for the problem at hand (see for example
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17441239).
The situation is different if you reduce the data to the
reconstruction of a single plane (with --dimension 256,1 in
rtkprojectgeometricphantom). Then, your 10 slices are sufficient but
the default unmatched forward/back-projector (see
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/11021698 for a description of this)
give bad results. You can now solve this if you match them with the
option --bp NormalizedJoseph that Cyril has implemented.

So even a better of implementation of SART (the current one) does not
solve the problems that you have pointed out. You need a large enough
CT image given input data to solve the problem. I hope this will be
helpful, maybe not to you if it's too late but to some others.
Simon