[Paraview] SOURCE_CODE_BUILD_ERROR

govind sharma gsharma4189 at gmail.com
Fri Sep 28 07:38:37 EDT 2018

Hello,

I am trying to install Paraview with source code and following the steps as:

1: git pull source code - directory name is paraview
2. to build in paraview in separate directory - directory name
paraview-build
3. from inside the paraview-build directory  ccmake ../paraview
4. Try to configure but error related to VTK
5. So checked that VTK directory is there in paraview but empty
6. git pull VTK source code in paraview/VTK
7. ccmake ../paraview
8. No VTK error but error related to protobuf:

                                    CMake Error at
VTK/CMake/vtkModuleMacros.cmake:934 (add_subdirectory):
                                    add_subdirectory given source
"vtkprotobuf" which is not an existing
                                    directory.
                                    Call Stack (most recent call first):
                                    ThirdParty/protobuf/CMakeLists.txt:40
(vtk_module_third_party)

                                    CMake Error at VTK/CMakeLists.txt:138
(export):
                                    export given target "protobuf" which is
not built by this project.

                                    CMake Error at VTK/CMakeLists.txt:146
(export):
                                     export given target "protoc_compiler"
which is not built by this project.

9. My solution:
                   created protobuf directory in
/ParaView/VTK/ThirdParty/protobuf and extracted source code of protocol
buffer

Still I am getting same error statements upon configuration.

How do I proceed for successful paraview build.

Regards,
Govind Sharma
PhD Student
Indian Institute of Technology, Delhi