[Paraview] Unstructured rectilinear mesh vs legacy vtk format

Aniruddha Panda aniruddhamit at gmail.com
Sat May 19 14:30:46 EDT 2018

I have a cartesian grid on two different codes, one uses the legacy format
to write the data in vtk format where the co-ordinates of equidistant
points in x y and z directions are used and the associated velocity (or any
other state variable) values are written.

Whereas in the code which uses the unstructured dataset the each quadrant
extents are written and the associated cell data is written. Later the idea
is to have adaptive mesh refinement on this.

When I visualise both the files ( lets say for flow through a square duct,
pic attached ) I see a smooth representation that paraview automatically
calculates for the mesh in case of vtk whereas it appears like a
discontinuous data in case of vtu ( i assume vtu does lead to a
discontinuous field) . May I know if there is a smoothing filter which
allows me to interpolate the data onto an equidistant point cloud in all
directions so as to have smooth profile in my postprocessing.

Figure1. vtk flow through a square duct
Figure2 vtu flow through a square duct
Figure3 the velocity profile across the diagonal of the slice ( from vtk )
Figure4 the velocity profile across the diagonal of the slice ( from vtu)

With thanks & regards

*Aniruddha*