[Paraview] OSPRay textures and materials mapping

David E DeMarle dave.demarle at kitware.com
Fri May 18 10:57:51 EDT 2018

Hi Jonathan.

Yes you can do that.

1) File->Load OSPRay Materials, switch the file type from "OSPRay Material
Files (*.json)"  to "Wavefront Material FIles (*.mtl)". That will let you
load all of the materials and textures. They should all show up in the
Material list.

2) The OSPRay Material selection (on Display section of Properties Tab
advanced) will have all of the individual materials listed in it + a few
others including "Value Indexed" which is all the way at the bottom. Choose
that it means "use the categorical color lookup table to decide what
material to use for each block and or polygon"

3) Now change the scalar array to color by to "Material Id", a cell aligned
array which has the material index to use for each cell.

4) Make up a categorical lookup table.
   open spreadsheet view, switch to Field Data, look at the Material Names.
   open the color map editor for the "Material Id", click on Interpret
Values As Categories and the color will change from bluewhitered to
extremely YELLOW.
   add annotations, value 0 should be the name of the first entry in the
Material Names array.

Notes:
* I have the trivial script somewhere that I used for the SC17 demo that
makes up the lookup table for you. I'll try and dig that up.
* in general it isn't a 1:1 match between mtl and ospray, in particular
multitextures are not yet implemented
* along those lines, the mtl parser I whipped up
$PVSRC/VTK/Rendering/OSPRay/vtkMaterialLibrary::InternalParseMTL recognizes
a "type" extension outside of mtl that lets you bring in ospray's nice
materials instead of the default OBJMaterial. Glass and Metal are
particularly nice.

At some point I'll get around to making this all automatic. Patches are
welcome in the meantime.

good luck

David E DeMarle
Kitware, Inc.