[Paraview] Screenshots to movies

Francesco Poli invernomuto at paranoici.org
Tue May 15 18:41:38 EDT 2018

On Tue, 15 May 2018 13:11:59 -0400 Utkarsh Ayachit wrote:

> ffmeg is your friend on linux. It needs a little figuring things out, but
> both resizing images and then converting them to videos is possible.

ParaView used to also be able to save animations as MJPEG AVI
(.avi) files.

Unfortunately, the version currently in Debian GNU/Linux (unstable and
testing) seems to have a regression and is unable to save .avi files.
See my [bug report](https://bugs.debian.org/892293) on the Debian BTS...

My current workaround is:

 → save animations as PNG images

 → convert them with

   $ ffmpeg -f image2 -framerate 5 -i input.%04d.png \
            -vcodec mjpeg -pix_fmt yuv420p -q:v 3 output.avi

Please note that ParaView used to save .avi files with pixel format
yuvj422p (until it stopped doing so, because of the above mentioned
regression), but I started to use pixel format yuv420p, to work around
a [bug](https://bugs.debian.org/863663) in GStreamer.
With this pixel format the animation may be correctly played by
GStreamer on GNU/Linux and hence, when embedded in a PDF page, by
pdf-presenter-console on GNU/Linux, as well as by Acrobat Reader DC on
Windows...

If anyone knows any better strategy, comments are welcome!

--
 http://www.inventati.org/frx/
 There's not a second to spare! To the laboratory!