[Paraview] control comparative render in python?

Utkarsh Ayachit utkarsh.ayachit at kitware.com
Fri May 11 11:20:59 EDT 2018

Great! Glad you tracked it down. I've also reported an issue for this trace
issue: https://gitlab.kitware.com/paraview/paraview/issues/18166

On Fri, May 11, 2018 at 11:16 AM Sgouros, Thomas <thomas_sgouros at brown.edu>
wrote:

> Just FYI, the "Link Camera" dialog that you get by right-clicking in a
window also appears not to log whatever it's doing to the Trace output. But
for the next person who finds this note, there seems to be an
AddCameraLink() function to the paraview 'simple' module, that appears to
work like this:

>   view1 = simple.CreateView("myfirstview")
>   view2 = simple.CreateView("mysecondview")
>   simple.AddCameraLink(view1, view2, "arbitraryNameOfLink")

> I assume that the Link Camera dialog invokes this function, though it
doesn't appear in the Trace.

wrote:

>> Hi Utkarsh:

>> I understand, perhaps you're right that comparative render is not what
I'm after. What I want is just to see two different data sets using the
same visualization side by side, with cameras linked as they are with the
comparative view. I can create the visualizations I want in the Qt client
or in python. But apparently I could just use some direction on the best
approach to link the cameras and make the views appear side-by-side.

>> Thank you,

>> -Tom

>> On Fri, May 11, 2018 at 8:39 AM, Utkarsh Ayachit <
utkarsh.ayachit at kitware.com> wrote:

>>> Tom,

>>> comparative view inspector window, and I can't find any more than a
mention
>>> in the Guide.

>>> That is indeed a bug. I've reported it as an issue here:
>>> https://gitlab.kitware.com/paraview/paraview/issues/18164

>>> the same data, or the same view of two different data sources, side by
>>> side, ideally always with the same camera position. This seems like
exactly
>>> what the comparative render view was built for.

>>> My hunch is comparative view is not what you want. All you want is
simply
>>> two views with linked cameras. Are you able to setup the visualizations
you
>>> need in the ParaView Qt client? If so, I can provide you hints on how to
>>> convert that to the corresponding Python script.

>>> comparison

>>> the view has a "Dimensions" parameter that you change e.g.
>>> view = CreateComparativeRenderView()
>>> view.Dimensions = [ 3, 1]

>>> there more to it than that?

>>> you simple use `Show`. You can't assign a dataset to show in a specific
>>> view, that's not what the comparative view is intended for. You show
data
>>> in all views and you vary one or more parameters on the pipelines in the
>>> view using the animation tracks in the comparative panel.

>>> Utkarsh