[Paraview] x,y,z,time

Moreland, Kenneth kmorel at sandia.gov
Tue May 8 16:18:00 EDT 2018

A,

ParaView won’t recognize a column in a table as time. If you instead write out your data as a series of csv files, ParaView will treat each file as a time step and animate through them. So, if you re-write your data in multiple csv files, things get much easier in ParaView.

If you don’t want to re-write your data, I think you can still do what you want to do by using ParaView’s animation. The basic idea is to add a filter that pulls out the data for one time step, and then animate the parameter.

This will probably be clearer with an example. For this example, let’s assume your csv file has 20 time steps with time values 0, 1, 2,…, 19. The steps you could follow to animate time are as follows:

  1.  Load the csv file, convert them to table to points, and visualize them just as you are so far.
  2.  Add the threshold filter. Set the Minimum parameter to just under the first time value (say -0.5 in the example time steps I gave) and set the Maximum parameter to just over the first time value (say 0.5 in this example). This will extract the points of the first time step.
  3.  Open the Animation View (View -> Animation View).
  4.  Add a track for the Threshold filter for Threshold Range (0) (this corresponds to the Minimum value). Double click the track to open up the Animation Keyframes dialog. Set the first value to just under the first time value (-0.5 in this example), to just under the largest value (18.5 in this example).
  5.  Add a track for the Threshold filter for Threshold Range (1) (this corresponds to the Maximum value). Double click the track to open up the Animation Keyframes dialog. Set the first value to just under the first time value (0.5 in this example), to just under the largest value (19.5 in this example).
  6.  In the Animation View, set the number of frames (No. Frames) to the number of time steps in your data (20 in this example).
  7.  Hit play.

-Ken