[Paraview] Expanding cylinder clip

Cory Quammen cory.quammen at kitware.com
Wed May 2 13:31:38 EDT 2018

Alan,

You could try to fit a cylinder to the tank and clip the way you suggest,
but that would be a little bit involved and may not be accurate of the tank
is distorted significantly.

You can potentially used a signed distance function from the tank surface
to compute what is inside vs. outside. Distances from the surface to points
inside the tank will be negative (hence the signed distance), and distances
outside the tank will be positive. There will be some funniness near the
crack, but it shouldn't be to bad. I could do this in a Programmable Filter
using vtkImplicityPolyDataDistance to compute the signed distance from the
tank to points in cells representing the water. The big advantage is you
wouldn't have to do any cylinder fitting and it could accommodate large
deformations to the tank.

Is the tank a vtkPolyData or is it vtkUnstructuredGrid? If it is the
latter, we'd have to extract the inside boundary, otherwise all the
distances will be positive and the above technique won't work. I would have
to think a bit on how to do that.

Cheers,
Cory

On Wed, May 2, 2018 at 12:24 PM Scott, W Alan via ParaView <
paraview at public.kitware.com> wrote:

> I have a user that wants to see how quickly water flows out of a
> commercial water tank, if it has a seam split.  If the tank doesn't change
> diameter, this is easy - how much water is outside of a cylinder clip.
> But, if the tank is expanding (due to damage), is there a way to have the
> radius of the cylinder clip increase to follow a cell on the tank?
>

> Thanks,
>

> Alan

Cory Quammen
Staff R&D Engineer