[Paraview] [EXTERNAL] Re: Paraview crashing when clipping an openfoam solution

Scott, W Alan wascott at sandia.gov
Mon Mar 26 14:39:26 EDT 2018

Hi Carlos,
As Shawn says, you are running out of memory.  As a guess, this isn’t a hardware issue or ParaView issue, but rather a “too much data in a 5 pound bag” issue.  Here are some thoughts:

  *   Run View/ Memory Inspector.  As you do stuff, watch memory grow.  Does it look like memory is growing until PV dies?
  *   Minimize the size of your dataset.  Although you only have a million cells (rounding), how many variables to you have?  Don’t load (or don’t create) variables that you don’t need.
  *   How many blocks do you have?  If the answer is lots (hundreds?), I believe this creates memory pressure.
  *   Do you have sidesets/ edgesets?  Don’t load these unless needed (as you can see, I don’t know openfoam).
  *   Run top.  How big is ParaView getting?
  *   Try opening your data with no variables loaded.  What is the memory inspector doing?
  *   How much hardware do you have on your computer?  If it’s a new computer with 8 GBytes, that is very different than an old converted machine with .25GBytes.
  *   Try looking at your memory footprint (memory inspector, top) BEFORE applying filters.  Every filter you use increases memory.
  *   Use filters such as slice (i.e., 2d) rather than clip (3d), and contour (2d) rather than clip by scalar.  What I mean here is to create a surface, rather than a solid.  Surfaces use less memory.
  *   Don’t volume render.  It really sucks memory.

That’s what I can think of...

Alan