[Paraview] warp by vector field(displacement) with pressure field problem

Moreland, Kenneth kmorel at sandia.gov
Mon Jun 18 11:26:34 EDT 2018

Umut,

In the 3D case you are still getting overlap, but you are not seeing it because of an oddity of the way ParaView renders 3D solids. When rendering a 3D solid, ParaView removes the inside of the volume and just renders the outer surface. Most of the time this is correct because you won’t be able to see anything through the outer surface. However, if the volume is intersecting itself, the interior may poke out of the “external” surface, but you won’t see that because ParaView is not rendering the interior of the surface.

In your 3D slice example, try moving the slice plane back to where the displacement dips into the volume and you will see something weird. Instead of seeing a cutaway of the dip, you will see a thin wall built where the clip plane is (see the attached screenshot). This is because, unlike rendering, the clip operation takes into account the entire volume and will find those interior cells that are overlapped. That thin wall becomes the exterior so you can see that part during rendering.

-Ken