[Paraview] Using CUDA accelerated vtkm filter

Sumin Hong sumin246 at gmail.com
Tue Jul 3 07:12:13 EDT 2018

Dears users,

I would like to use the CUDA accelerated vtkm filter in ParaView. However,
according to the release notes, binary versions do not seem to support CUDA
acceleration properly. (https://www.paraview.org/Wiki/ParaView_Release_Notes
).

 So I compiled  ParaView-v5.5.2 code on Ubuntu with VTKm_ENABLE_CUDA option.
There was no problem in the build, but when I actually execute vtkm filter
(contour filter) on paraview, I got this error message  "caught
ErrorBadDevice: Device with id 2 is either not in the list or is invalid."

This seems like the vtkm filter does not set up the proper GPU device.
The used system has installed only one GPU device (TITAN X Pascal)  with
CUDA 8.0.

So I think the device ID should be 0.
Also, there is no problem when using a default contour filter without vtkm.

Any help on how to solve this will be appreciated.

Best regards,

Sumin.