[Paraview] Can I generate a single file that contains data and filter settings?

Samuel Key samuelkey at bresnan.net
Sat Jan 27 11:52:27 EST 2018

Wyatt--

While ParaView can read CSV files and subsequently generate images, the
CSV format for simulation results limits the functionality available to
you in ParaView. My suggestion is that you write your simulation results
in a format that contains geometry information, as well as, Point and
Cell centered values like displacement, velocity, acceleration,
temperature, concentrations, volume fractions, /et cetera./

The attached document is a good place to start. (This document is very
concise and very complete, but the information is only written down
once. As a result, the format information is sometimes not located where
you need it.)

If your simulations are concerned with the deformation of 3-D solids and
structures, I can provide you with FORTRAN95 routines that you can use
to write VTK-formatted simulation results.

Once you can generate VTK-formatted datum sets, The File > Save State
command will generate *.pvsm files that will let you "recreate" a
previously constructed Browser Pipeline. (The PV *.pvsm reader gives you
the opportunity to select a different datum set.)

There is a small two-cell mesh file attached that might be helpful to
you when constructing a VTK-formatted file writer in your application.

--Sam