[Paraview] Extracting data on the surface of a block?

Steytler, Louis Louw steytle1 at illinois.edu
Mon Jan 22 23:13:38 EST 2018

Hi Everyone,

I am performing a multiphase CFD computation. Basically I am looking at an oil drop rising buoyantly in water.

The output from my computations is in the ExodusII format, which I read into ParaView, and I am using multiple blocks, where mesh nodes coincide with the drop's surface (moving mesh, boundary conforming technique).

I would like to extract information on the deformable surface of the drop around the circumference of the surface at specific elevations.

How could this be accomplished?

I tried some filters, for example extracting the surface of the block forming the oil drop, and then applying a "PlotOnIntersectionCurves" filter, using a planar surface, so that a planar surface would cut the surface of the drop, forming a circular arc with constant elevation.

This seemed to produce reasonable looking results, but I was not able to specify the number of points along the arc where data was extracted. Also, upon saving, three files were produced file0.csv, file1.csv, file2.csv, and file3.csv. Not sure why I am not getting just one file?

Is there a way to have a bit more control over the resolution used when interpolating and extracting data in this case?

Any advice would be very much appreciated.

Thanks very much,

Louis Steytler
Department of Mechanical Science and Engineering
1206 West Green Street
Urbana, Il 61801
steytle1 at illinois.edu