[Paraview] Paraview starts to lag extremely after adding too much complexity in the pipeline

Jonathan Borduas jonathan.borduas at caboma.com
Tue Feb 27 15:39:49 EST 2018

Hi all,

We use a fairly complex pipeline with more than 300 filters.

When divided across 20 .pvsm , everything is fast. We started to merge those .pvsm into a single one.

For the first 17 .pvsm everything was still fast. No .pvsm load time and no lag.

Once we started integrating the 18th .pvsm the performance started to degrade. We used VTune to diagnose paraview:
Seems that the performance drop is purely related to vtkInformation::GetAsObjectBase and  vtkDemandDrivenPipeline::ComputePipelineMTime which is call recursively  37 times in a single call stack sample !

It makes no difference if we integrate the 20 small .pvsm into a single large .pvsm or if we integrate thoses .pvsm as custom filters (.cpd) in the main .pvsm.

This is true when we are loading the .pvsm, but this is also true when we are modifying values in the statefile.

We are using:
Win10
Paraview 5.3 derivative.
Memory consumption is 1Go on a 16 Go machine.

Any idea on how to improve the performance ? We though about dividing the pipeline into a multitude of pvserver...

Jonathan Borduas