[Paraview] Questions on Add Selection/Subtract Selection

Dennis Conklin dennis_conklin at goodyear.com
Tue Feb 13 10:16:11 EST 2018

All,

I am writing some instructional material for my users and am working on "Interactive Selection".    As I try to write this I realize that the rules for +/- Selection are confusing to me.    Can someone verify that what I'm doing is the intended behavior.

If I Click on "Select Cells Through" or "Select Points Through", then Add Selection and Subtract Selection are greyed out and not available.  There are instances where I want to combine "Select Cells On", "Select Cells by Polygon", and "Select Cells Through" to finetune my final selection - similar for Points.

Add/Subtract don't seem to work between all of the interactive selection methods, which is what I would intuitively expect:

For example - click on Add Selection - it will remain highlighted thru the following actions:
     click on Select Cells On - now you can select cells
     click again on "Select Cells On" - you can select more cells that are added to the previous selection
     click on "Select Cells with Polygon" - you can select more cells that are added to the previous selection.
     click on "Select Block" - block is selected and all previously selected cells are unselected
     click again on "Select Block" - new block is selected and added to previous selection
     clock on "Select Cells On" - new cells are selected and previous selection is discarded.

The two things which don't seem intuitive are:

Why are "Select Cells/Points Through" not using Add Selection - in many cases it is necessary to select using different interactive methods to get the final desired selection.

Should Select Block be divided into "Select Block Cells" and "Select Block Points" so that this selection method could be combined with Select Cells/Points On/Through with the "Add Selection" to finetune a selection.    Alternately should "Select Block" be smarter and only select Block Cells if the current Selection is Cells, or only select Block Points if the current Selection is Points (and add them to the existing selection instead of replacing it?

I realize I may be missing something here, so I'm really just asking for someone to clue me in if I am.

Thanks for any insight
Dennis