[Paraview] Possible to view ExodusII HEX9 data?

David Thompson david.thompson at kitware.com
Fri Feb 9 17:17:19 EST 2018

Hi Weston,

> Is there any way I could render HEX9 exodusii data as as HEX8 data in paraview,  (ignoring the 9th node) or work with it directly?

Not without modifying the source. Have you built ParaView yourself or do you install it from packages.

> HEX9 numbering: https://github.com/gsjaardema/seacas/blob/master/docs/topology/hex09.png
>
> It appears that Paraview reads the file as HEX8 but is reading the center node as part of one of the hexahedron's edges (see attached image)

It would help to have a small example file for us to test against. If you want to experiment, you can edit VTK/IO/Exodus/vtkExodusIIReader.cxx around line 3237 (inside vtkExodusIIReaderPrivate::DetermineVtkCellType) and add

  else if ((elemType.substr(0,3) == "HEX") &&      (binfo.BdsPerEntry[0] == 9))
    { binfo.CellType=VTK_HEXAHEDRON;               binfo.PointsPerCell = 8; }

You can see that is what we do for 21-node hexes currently.

	David