[Paraview] Using Probe Filter To Get The Average Value Around A Point

Jeremias Gonzalez jgonzalez49 at ucmerced.edu
Mon Feb 5 17:27:22 EST 2018

Hi, I'm trying to find a way to get the average value around a point in
a mesh that I know to be noisy due to its coarseness. Currently, I am
unable to understand determine the exact nature of the radius and number
of point parameters from the documentation (
https://www.paraview.org/ParaView/Doc/Nightly/www/py-doc/paraview.simple.ProbeLocation.html
), but I am guessing from some third party posts that the radius enables
one to find a point nearby to a desired point in a given region, and the
number of points expands the amount captured. The problem I have past
that, if those are correct understandings, is what to do with the probe
once I have it. Looking at the resulting spreadsheet from using the
probe location with a given radius and number of points each labelled
from 0 to 99, for example, it seems that I may have to use another loop,
after I introduce and use the probe, with code like

my_running_total=0

for y in range(0, 99):
	my_running_total +=
mycalcprobepoint.GetPointData(y).GetArray('Result').GetValue(0)

my_running_total /= 100

that will take that batch of points collected by the probe and average
all the values I want. Is this the correct interpretation, and a valid
way to carry out this objective?