[Paraview] FEM solver interfaced with Paraview

Cory Quammen cory.quammen at kitware.com
Mon Feb 5 10:32:22 EST 2018

[snip]

> Some of the following questions have probably ever been asked, but:
>
> What is the best format to create a result file readable by Paraview,
> especially for huge file? after some readings, VTK XML format seems to be
> the most interesting (parallelization capabilities) compared to the legacy
> VTK one, am I right or do ou have any other suggestion?

You are right, the VTK XML file formats are quite capable; I would
avoid the legacy formats.

> I’m still trying to figure out if xdmf and/or hdf5 format are relevant, and
> if they are relevant for my application: any feedback on it?

Personally, having worked with writing to both types of data sets, I
would choose VTK XML over XDMF.

> The workflow I’m imaginating sounds like:
>

> Intermediate calculations
> ^
> |

> Raw data (ascii file) from my solver --> intermediate file in xdmf or hdf5
> format --> Paraview input file (depending on the reader)

If you choose to ultimately write out to VTK XML files, I would skip
the intermediate file writing step.

HTH,
Cory

> Any feedback, advice and suggestion will be highly appreciated
>
> (I’m quite new with Paraview)
>

> Regards
>

> Paul

Cory Quammen