[Paraview] parallel processing in volume rendering and Merge Blocks filter ...

Ufuk Turuncoglu u.utku.turuncoglu at be.itu.edu.tr
Wed Sep 20 14:45:37 EDT 2017

Hi,

I am trying to perform volume rendering (VR) using multi-block + multi-piece dataset. In this case, the data file has single block that contains multiple piece (created by MPI parallel simulation code) and it is in structured grid. When I try to use volume rendering with raw data, it creates empty output but if I use Merge Block filter before using volume rendering, it works without any problem. So, I have to use Merge Blocks to perform VR. At this point, I just wonder that is it typical behaviour of ParaView for multi-block + multi-piece datasets? Is it still possible to perform VR in parallel if I had a multiple core (such as enabling Auto MPI from the settings)? If not is there any way to re-structure the data to perform more efficient rendering?

Best Regards,

--ufuk