[Paraview] Error: Could not determine discrete values (if scalar value > 31)

Michael Nolde mnolde at gmx.net
Sun Sep 17 17:48:13 EDT 2017

Hello,

I could use some help with vizualizing an unstructured grid.
I've got an .VTU / XML file with values in a scalar field, which act as
color ids. I want to colorize my mesh according to these values. The
values should be interpretet as categories, so I checked this option in
ParaView. As long as my values are below or equal 31, everything works
out fine. But as soon as I use the full data range (242 different
values), ParaView gives an error:  Could not determine discrete values
using the data produced by the current source/filter. Please add
annotations manually.
If I do enter some values by hand, it works nicely again. But entering
more than 200 values by hand is not really an option.
To see if the determination fails because of missing values between 0
and 242, I checked the scalars, but everything seems to be fine.

Could anyone give me a hint on how to proceed / what to try?

Thanks, cheers,
Michael