[Paraview] ParaView GPU support (UNCLASSIFIED)

Utkarsh Ayachit utkarsh.ayachit at kitware.com
Fri Sep 15 12:35:35 EDT 2017

Simon,

The answer depends on whether you want to ParaView to use GPU for
rendering alone or also for computation e.g. contours. For former,
it's automatic via OpenGL. So long as your environment and/or your
build is set up such that ParaView picks up the OpenGL implementation
provided by your GPU drivers, you'll get GPU acceleration. For
GPU-accelerated algorithms, you have to enable VTK-m support at build
time and then enable CUDA support for VTM-m. Currently, you need
create special filters via the VTM-m plugin [1] to use accelerated
versions of common algorithms like contour. In future, this will be
automatic, and you will be able to simply use the generic filters.

Hope that helps.

Utkarsh

[1] https://blog.kitware.com/paraview-5-3-0-release-notes/