[Paraview] [EXTERNAL] D3 filter crash

Scott, W Alan wascott at sandia.gov
Wed Oct 18 15:07:34 EDT 2017

Don’t forget that each pvserver can’t tell that it is sharing the memory with siblings.  Thus, you care about memory use at the node or computer level.

In theory you are correct regarding D3.  It rebalances work, and also creates ghost cells around processor boundaries.  But, it is an old, somewhat moody filter.  Further, it increases memory footprint significantly (at least copies the data).  If you can work without it, do so.  Generally, if you are slow, you need more nodes or less data.  In practice, the D3 filter won’t speed you up.

Alan