[Paraview] Mode shapes

Moreland, Kenneth kmorel at sandia.gov
Tue Oct 10 10:01:29 EDT 2017

Doina,

It is possible to make a filter to implement this (a couple readers do it internally), but one with general capabilities currently does not exist. However, it is easy to animate a mode shape using the Warp by Vectors filter and the animation utilities. To do it, do the following:

1.       Add the Warp by Vectors filter to your data. Presumably you have some displacement vectors that you want to do the mode animation on. Select those as the vectors to warp by.

2.       Open the Animation View (View -> Animation View).

3.       Make the animation run longer (the defaults are too fast). Either increase the number of frames (say to 100) or change the mode to Real Time.

4.       Add an animation track for the WarpByVector filter and the parameter Scale Factor.

5.       Double click the animation track you just created to open the Animation Keyframes dialog box.

6.       Double click the box that says Ramp in the Interpolation column. Change the interpolation to Sinusoid. The controls for Sinusoid are a little clunky, but the defaults for Phase, Frequency, and Offset should be fine.

7.       Change the Value for time 0 to be 1. Change the Value for time 1 to be 0. The dialog box should match the image I attached to this email for reference.

8.       Click OK to close the Animation Keyframes dialog box.

9.       Click the Play button to see the animation. Use the Loop button to animate the mode continuously.

-Ken