[Paraview] Implementation of OpenGL 4

Ken Martin ken.martin at kitware.com
Tue Oct 10 08:43:08 EDT 2017

VTK OpenGL2 uses automatic data normalization (shift/scaling) to handle
large data ranges. So each mapper's data is rescaled/shifted to lie within
the 0.0 to 1.0 range and the camera matrix is modified to account for this.
All that is done in double precision but resulting in floating point data
and matrix.

For most earth centric data sets the normalization works well if your
detailed data (like of a building) is in a different mapper than your large
scale data (model of the earth).

I am not sure if this functionality is in the last PV release, but it
should be in the nightly version. There are still some gotchas in setting
the camera's clipping range (an automatic clipping range that includes the
entire earth will be really bad for a detailed model of a building) but the
basic support is there.

In terms of adding double support it could be done conditionally if the
hardware has it then turn it on. We already do that for a couple OpenGL 3.3
features. But I doubt we will require OpenGL 4 any time soon as moving to
OpenGL 3.2 was a stretch for many people. Having said that, we do typically
get OpenGL 4 contexts on many platforms by default.

Hope some of that helps!
Ken

On Tue, Oct 10, 2017 at 1:56 AM, Lieberwirth, Undine <
Undine.Lieberwirth at fu-berlin.de> wrote:

> Hello list,
>
> I am using real (long - more than 7 digits) geographic coordinates in my
> project. Unfortunately, with OpenGL 2 they cannot be visualised in
> ParaView. I am therefore in need of the implementation of OpenGL 4 (or
> higher) in ParaView. Is there already an ongoing project or can we join a
> team which is already working on this subject?
> Kind regards
> Undine

> ****************
> Undine Lieberwirth M.A.
> Freie Universität Berlin
> Exzellenzcluster Topoi 264
> Forum Spatial Data
> Hittorfstr. 18
> 14195 Berlin
> Tel. +49 30 838 57275 <+49%2030%2083857275>
> Fax +49 838 53770 <+49%208385%203770>
> Email: undine.lieberwirth at fu-berlin.de
> Websites: topoi.org, community.topoi.org/web/forum-sda

> opensource/opensource.html

Ken Martin PhD
Distinguished Engineer
Kitware Inc.
28 Corporate Drive
Clifton Park NY 12065

This communication, including all attachments, contains confidential and
legally privileged information, and it is intended only for the use of the
addressee.  Access to this email by anyone else is unauthorized. If you are
not the intended recipient, any disclosure, copying, distribution or any
action taken in reliance on it is prohibited and may be unlawful. If you
received this communication in error please notify us immediately and
destroy the original message.  Thank you.