[Paraview] ParaView not reading time in netcdf file

Deepwell, David ddeepwel at uwaterloo.ca
Fri Oct 6 10:11:20 EDT 2017

Hi,

I have a netcdf file which I’d like to read in ParaView. The reading and rendering works fine, but the time is not displayed. I’ve declared the variable to be time through the axis attribute, and I’ve given it units since a certain day. Strangely enough, VisIt understands the time value (t=5s) while ParaView does not.

Here’s the output from ncdump:

netcdf output_50 {
dimensions:
	x = 1024 ;
	z = 128 ;
	time = 1 ;
variables:
	double x(x) ;
		x:units = "m" ;
	double z(z) ;
		z:units = "m" ;
	double time(time) ;
		time:units = "seconds since 2001-1-1" ;
		time:axis = "T" ;
		time:long_name = "time" ;
	double rho(time, x, z) ;
		rho:units = "kg/L" ;

// global attributes:
		:description = "SPINS Output 50" ;
}

Any help will be appreciated. I also have a 1 MB file which I can pass on if needed.

Thank you,
David